We've Been Through a Lot, You and I.

Roscoe- Lovingly pulled from the pound.
Died of heartworm complications.
We've been through a lot, you and I. You, man, and I, beloved creature. I remember the day you walked through those doors. You saw me lying in the corner, sad and broken. With a wave of my tail, I got up just for you. Most people walked right past me, but not you. You have a greater calling. So I got up and walked to the bars, hoping there was space enough between for you to fit your fingers through and stroke me behind the ear. You told me everything would be ok and I trusted that it would be.

I was tired. I had nothing left to give. But you gave me life, you gave me hope. When my kennel door opened, I felt as though a weight had been lifted from between my shoulder blades. Once in your arms, I knew I was home.

Tiny- Dumped at PetSmart and brought
in to foster care
Died from advanced stages
of Feline Leukemia
I remember walking away from that cold place. You placed me gently in the back seat of your car. When you got in I kissed the side of your face to say "thank-you"; I know how many pets, just like me, never make it out. I then retreated to curl up in the back seat. I hope you didn't think I was abandoning you, I was just so tired! I remember hearing you say I looked really adorable all balled up like that, so I think you would have forgiven me anyways. 

I woke up when the car sputtered to a stop. You called me by a name I had never heard before, but I quickly accepted it as my own knowing that you must have chosen a great name to grace me with. From there you took me into your home. You gave me some delicious morsels to eat and a nice warm blanket to sleep on. I didn't eat all of the food, but I hope you understand: I've been hungry for so long that my belly just couldn't handle it all. When I was done eating, you cradled me in your arms. I could hear your heartbeat and it was sweeter than any lullaby I had ever known. This must be what love is like.

Over the next few days, I saw you smile so much! It made me so happy to see that you were proud of me! All of your love and care meant I was starting to get a love for life, a true bounce in my step, a new light in my eyes! Right then I knew that you were meant to save me. 

Cochise- one of our beloved seniors
Died of cancer
But then, something just didn't feel right. I was feeling dizzy. My whole world was spinning and I just knew that something was wrong. I laid in my bed so confused! A few minutes later I could hear your voice and it was all shaky and loud. I think you were crying and I just wanted to tell you that everything would be alright. Usually you can understand me but I guess I wasn't very clear laying there like I was. I felt your hand by my nose so I nuzzled it to let you know everything would be OK.

Willow- an affectionate,
partially blind pound kitty
Died of a neurological disorder 
I felt you put me in the back seat again but then something strange happened! I was in the front seat watching over you! I could see myself laying in the back seat, which was weird considering that I wasn't really back there. A few minutes later the car was stopped again. I saw you pick up my body and run it in to a strange building. The woman in there was really nice and she took my body in to the back. I don't know what happened to it from there because I stayed out front with you. How could I leave you alone in a time like this? I gave you kisses and sat by your feet, but I think you were too worried about me to notice.

Only a few moments later, a tall guy with dark hair wearing blue scrubs littered with cartoon puppy paws emerged from the back. He called your name and you approached him. He shook his head and I saw the tears begin to pour from your eyes. I was there the whole time, trying to lick away your pain.

Shirley- a sad and tired Puppy Mill dog
Had a broken jaw left
untreated while she was at the mill.
The jaw became infected and
the infection had spread to her brain
At that time, it seemed so silly to me that this little stray, once sad and broken as you were then, had caused so much pain. Especially considering that all you had to do was leave me in that kennel with what would have been my fate. But no, you were greater than that. You saw this little stray and brought it back to life. If even for just a moment, you brought me back to life! At first I was upset that you had let me hurt you so badly, but then I remembered... I was worth loving! I was worth the chance to live! You are weeping that I have passed, but I did not pass without love, I did not pass without meaning. You pieced my broken self back together, so at least I could pass as a whole! 

 I will stay by your side to help you get through this. It was then that I understood that I was meant to save you. We've been through a lot, you and I. You, man, and I, beloved creature.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Powerful...I just hugged my three rescued babies extra hard!!

Jen said...

Wow. I want to post some words of wisdom or say something amazing, but, wow is all I can come up with.

Laura said...

Amazing...made me think of my baby that passed away from Kidney Failure almost a year ago.

Anonymous said...

this post brought tears to my eyes. well written.

Alecia said...

Thanks everyone! Isn't it amazing how much they can burrow in to your heart in such a short amount of time?

@Laura, I'm really sorry to hear about the passing of your baby!

Laurel said...

What a story...I'm hugging Roxi & Moki now I can't imagine how that broke your heart :(

Post a Comment